JSON-RPC for the admin server?

Topics: Administration
Coordinator
Jan 16, 2008 at 5:43 AM
Edited Jan 16, 2008 at 5:45 AM
I've been looking for protocols for the admin server for WheelMUD. Tonight I stumbled on http://jayrock.berlios.de - Jayrock, a JSON and JSON-RPC open source project. JSON is a much simpler data format than XML. This also means that the data going across the wire will be more compact. The thing that sold me, is that Jayrock has built-in serializers/translators to/from objects. This sort of translation takes a huge amount of work. I know, because I implemented the whole XML-RPC stack (including a primitive web server) in VB6.

I wanted to get this part of WheelMUD going early in this implementation, so that we can have a remote admin GUI.
Jan 17, 2008 at 7:53 AM
I dont mind moving away from the standard MS approach at all, but what benefits will using this framework give us over WCF, plain old web services or remoting?
Coordinator
Jan 17, 2008 at 1:13 PM

foxedup wrote:
I dont mind moving away from the standard MS approach at all, but what benefits will using this framework give us over WCF, plain old web services or remoting?

The biggest benefit is ease of maintenance. WCF, SOAP (web services), and Remoting have a LOT of moving parts that make them harder to maintain after the initial coding spurt. I'm currently adding new web services to an app at work, and the amount of work for any change is astronomical compared to simpler stuff like XML-RPC or JSON-RPC. JSON is very big in the AJAX/JavaScript sphere, so this is one of those good things to have in your toolbox for marketability.

I'm not opposed to somebody coding additional remote procedural call (RPC) systems into WM. I'm just not going to do it personally at this time. ;)
Coordinator
Jan 24, 2008 at 9:03 PM
I saw a very simple implementation of JSON-RPC over a telnet socket over here:
http://groups.google.com/group/jayrock/browse_thread/thread/05cc541a115faddb/a22359e53471525a#a22359e53471525a

I'm going to see if I can implement this using the IServer interface.
Coordinator
Mar 1, 2015 at 5:25 PM
The best solution I've seen so far is the ServiceStack framework. Nothing else comes close. We already use it for our database layer.
Developer
Mar 2, 2015 at 2:54 PM
Looking at the website that ServiceStack framework is a paid service. I'm not sure it would fit well into an open Source Project or be very educational.