This project is read-only.

Admin console

Topics: Administration
Feb 5, 2008 at 9:13 PM
Ok, I have a couple questions about the admin console...

1) Do we want to make it part of the current solution, or create a new separate project for it somewhere?

2) What technology do we want to use for it? MMC 3.0 or a custom VS-like app?

I got enough on the server side done, that I can now start creating this admin console for us.
Feb 5, 2008 at 9:31 PM
I would prefer to see a custom winforms app. I dunno what it is, but MMC always leaves me feeling as if it is lacking something.

One question I do have...is the RPC stuff gonna be able to receive the messages that are currently pumped out of the app?
Feb 5, 2008 at 9:45 PM

foxedup wrote:
I would prefer to see a custom winforms app. I dunno what it is, but MMC always leaves me feeling as if it is lacking something.

Roger on the winform app. I'll try to make it as VS-like as possible. :) You still didn't answer the question about this being part of the main WM solution or not? :p

foxedup wrote:
One question I do have...is the RPC stuff gonna be able to receive the messages that are currently pumped out of the app?

Yup, we can output anything that can be serialized to text. Normally, RPC stuff is stateless, but I'm planning on leaving the connection open until it is closed by a request from the admin console. This will allow us to update the admin console in real-time if we want.
Feb 5, 2008 at 10:05 PM
I think its fine to be part of the main app for now. If the project(s) gets too unwieldly later we can chop them out
Feb 7, 2008 at 3:17 AM
Alright, I found an open sourced docking suite here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dockpanelsuite/

This should help me to make a Visual Studio like UI.
Feb 8, 2008 at 1:24 PM
This control looks nicer imo

http://www.digitalrune.com/Products/DockingWindows/Overview/tabid/481/language/en-US/lang/en-US/default.aspx

and it is still free for non commercial use.

They also have what looks like a nice script editor (syntax highlighting etc) which could work a treat for us.

I have also emailed a couple of the bigger component companies asking them whether they would like to provide licenses for an OS project. I'll see what they say :)
Feb 8, 2008 at 2:51 PM
Good find! I'm especially happy about the text editor control. I'll take a gander this weekend.